January 22, 2012

Power of Life and Death

Sometimes I don’t realize how stupid I sound until I hear someone else complaining about the same thing. In three months my younger sister is getting married. And then in four months I’ll be turning 30-years-old. It’s quite the year for big things. But it also makes me wonder if I’ve missed the proverbial boat.

There are days I say to God “I know you know, but just to remind you I’m almost 30. And there are certain things a woman – this woman – would like to have. You know, a husband to go through life with would be great…a family…a clear and steady calling. Okay thanks!”

Yet I know, “The tongue has the power of life and death,” (Proverbs 18:21) and not just in what I say to other people. Words are equally as powerful when I speak them over myself. If either aloud or just in my head I have the power with my words to dictate attitudes – my own and those of other people. 

So when I heard a few other late-20-something women the other day lamenting about their lack of a man, I cringed. “Oh gosh, is that how I sound!?!” It was a bit of a slap in the face, because I know that in reality there is absolutely nothing lacking in my life.

****
Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach;
   good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest.
Words kill, words give life;
   they're either poison or fruit—you choose.    Proverbs 18:20-21 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment