February 17, 2012

Beautiful


I love that it’s the simplest things in life that make my heart soar.

Bamboo swaying in the night breeze, sounding like an old, creaking door…
Sunrise shining on me while I jog or lift weights…
The smell of freshly brewed coffee…
Waking up to the sounds of birds singing…
Climbing into bed after a long day…
Laughing until my stomach hurts…
Talking to God while laying on a hammock at a farm…
Good, long hugs…
Cooking and enjoying a meal with friends…
The smile on someone’s face when you’ve just ‘made their day’…
Praying for other people and encouraging them…

The best thing I’ve realized about enjoying the simplicity of life’s pleasures is that it is easily found. It doesn’t matter where I live, what I do or who I’m with, I’m able to find things in which I find joy. The secret, I think, is to keep my eyes open to them. 

In all these things I see God’s hand. He knows what makes my heart happy, and so often puts me smack-dab in the middle of His beauty. Even in spending quiet time with Jesus each day, I find that joy, or peace, or contentment that I might be lacking elsewhere in my day. The real simplicity of my relationship with Christ not only gives me what I need in my own life, but also gives me an attitude or abilities He wants me to use to bless others.

That is truly beautiful. 

****
I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.
Philippians 3: 8 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment