November 17, 2012

Imitation, flattery and people watching...


I really like to people watch.
Not in a creepy, stalker way. More so because watching someone gives me a glimpse into who they are.

At church, I’ve noticed how the pastor’s wife really serves him on the Sundays he is teaching. Her actions are really simple – like passing him a bottle of water, touching his arms when he gets up to speak, and being the biggest cheerleader in the front row. But because she isn’t the same on other Sundays, it’s clear she does this to serve her husband.

Or, at a recent YWAM leadership meeting, the National Director of the organization in Australia took time out to really get to know some people. There was even one day his adult daughter came to visit, and he sat towards the back of the room praying with her while the meeting was underway.

Our Base Director – the boss – gets down to grubby, menial tasks on a regular basis when he could argue it’s not his responsibility. The same goes for our Training Coordinator, she’s often cleaning up in the kitchen after events even if she hasn’t been scheduled to do so.

What do other people see when they watch me?
Am I living a life worth imitating? 

In writing to the church in Corinth, the apostle Paul encourages them to follow his example of how to live a caring and Christ-centred life. His encouragement does not come because he thinks he’s something special. Paul’s only reason for telling others to look to him as a guide, is because of his intimate, and in-step walk with Jesus.

I got a glimpse into how other people see me this past week when I taught on one of the Discipleship Training Schools at the base. The topic was “Prayer and Intercession”, however, with promptings from God throughout my teaching, the lessons took a bit of a different turn. Everything was coated with messages or ideas about God’s heart (for us as individuals and for those strangers to whom we want to reach), as well as reminders that we need to give God the glory.

On the final day, I received a giant thank you card with notes from the students. I know the only reason they saw certain qualities in me, and my teaching, is because God is shining through me. While preparing my teaching, and even the mornings of, I prayed “God, I have no clue what to say to this group, but you do.” In response, the students wrote me comments such as: “thank you for sharing such powerful revelations”, “thank you for being so open with us, and just so sweet and loving all the time”, “your enthusiasm for the Lord can be seen in your shining face”.

There is no way any of those compliments were a result of anything I did by my own abilities. God really showed up, gave me grace, and gave me the right words or ideas to share with this class. I hope this is just the first of many exciting teaching opportunities to come!

****
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
1 Corinthians 11:1 (NIV)

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
1 Peter 5:14 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! And I totally understand all the teaching encouragement...like "What? Really? This is all Jesus!"

    And it definitely WILL be the first of many teaching opportunities...I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete