March 5, 2013

You are welcome here...

Social media is like the comment card of today. There`s no need to fill out a piece of paper anymore with thoughts, compliments or complaints. All one needs to do now is simply snap a photo and post it on Instagram. Or write thoughts on Facebook and Twitter.

I`m lucky enough to get to read some of the comments students, staff and guest speakers leave after having stayed at YWAM Brisbane. Because I oversee the Hospitality Ministry at the base,
I sometimes get a note card (yup, people do still do those things) with a word of thanks or even as an encouragement for the ministry here.

Just check out some of the photos I've included from different people who've stayed at YWAM Brisbane in the last few months. I'm regularly impressed to know that little things do indeed make a difference. A smile. Offering to make a cup of tea or coffee. Getting to know someone. A freshly cleaned room. Those things and many more go a long way in making people feel welcome.

For nearly two years now I've been overseeing the Hospitality Ministry at YWAM Brisbane - a ministry that seeks to be an extension of God's love and generosity to others. That means making this base a welcoming and value-instilling environment for people who call it home - or a place to lay their heads for a few nights - or just a spot to hang out after school. I've been fortunate to use my natural strengths as a nurturer, relater and love for people to 'spur one another on toward love and good deeds' (Hebrews 10:24).
We all play a part in making people feel welcome. That`s true for here at a YWAM centre in Australia, and it`s true for the way I`ll hopefully one day run my own home. And it`s true for wherever you call home too. We can do the smallest and simplest things to show others they matter...they have value...they are a child of God.

****

You are welcome at my house...let me supply whatever you need.
Judges 19:20 (NIV)

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves.
Romans 12:10 (NIV)

Practice hospitality.
Romans 12:13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment